This classic Thai salad has been given a twist by DCN to adapt it to the navratra fasting. It is nutritious and gives the much-needed relief and variety from the usual fasting foods. This salad is a complete health booster since raw papaya is rich in calcium, vitamin A and C.
- ½ Raw papaya, skin peeled and grated long
- 10-12 Roasted peanuts, coarsely crushed in a pestle and mortar
- 1/4 cup Fresh pomegranate seeds
- 1 Tomato, chopped in long pieces (optional)
- 2 tablespoon of coriander leaves (dhania), freshly chopped
For the Dressing
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon honey, (or to taste)
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon of chilli flakes
- 5-6 Almonds (coarsely ground)
- 1 Whole walnut (coarsely ground)
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon of finely grated ginger
- 2 Green chilli, sliced, seeds removed, finely chopped
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the dressing and keep it aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Peel the green skin off the raw papaya, and then slice it in half. Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. Using the largest grater, or a food processor, grate the papaya into ribbon-like strips. Place it in a large bowl.
- Stir in the remaining salad ingredients. Drizzle the dressing over the salad mixture and toss well to combine.
- Adjust the sweetness, lemon and chillies to suit your taste and serve the papaya salad immediately to retain its freshness and nutrition.
One can make the Raw Papaya Salad ahead of time, combining all the ingredients except the nuts and the dressing. It can be left covered in the refrigerator several hours, or overnight even. Add the dressing and peanuts at the last minute, then toss and serve.