A twist to the usual barley porridge, this dish would add flavor to your diet. Barley is much lower in calories as compared to other grains like, wheat and quinoa.
EXCELLENT CHOICE OF FOOD FOR WEIGHT WATCHERS AND DIABETIC .
- 2 serving spoon of raw barley dalia.
- 4-5 florets of cauliflower.
- ½ Carrot (chopped).
- 7-8 French beans (chopped).
- 1 Onion chopped finely.
- 2 Tomatoes chopped finely.
- 4-5 pods of garlic, chopped.
- 1 tsp of desi ghee.
- 1 tsp of jeera (cumin).
- Pinch of hing.
- Water- approximately4 times the amount of dalia.
- Green chili chopped-optional.
- Coriander for garnish.
- In a pan take water and let it come to a boil. Add the barley dalia to it and let it simmer on a low flame.
- Keep stirring from time to time till the dalia become chewy and tender.
- Simultaneously, take a pan. Add the desi ghee to it. When hot, add the hing and the jeera.
- When it crackles, add the garlic and onions. Sauté over low flame.
- When they turn slightly brown, add all the vegetables and cook for 5-10 minutes on low flame till they become tender.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add the dalia kept aside to this vegetable mix.
- Then add the tomatoes.
- Serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves.
If you are not able to find barley dalia, you can roast whole barley in a pan. Then crush it in a grinder. It easily breaks into pieces.