Turmeric milk, or Haldi Doodh, is an ancient healing remedy to treat everything from colds, asthma, joint pain and healing of wounds orbruises. This healthy drink can be prepared using both dried turmeric power or fresh turmeric. In this recipe, along with turmeric, you get the benefits of many other spices..
This concoction helps soothe inflammation, strengthen bones and fight free radicals. The west has now adopted it as the Golden Milk or Turmeric Latte.
Ingredients (for 1 serving):
- 2 Black peppercorns.
- Seeds of 1 cardamom pod.
- 1 Clove.
- 1 Cup milk.
- 1/2 an inch piece of fresh turmeric root or ¼ teaspoon of dry powder (5 grams).
- Cinnamon (4 pinches or a small stick).
- Honey, to taste.
- Crush the peppercorns, cinnamon, cardamom seeds and cloves with a mortar and pestle.
- Peel and grate the turmeric root or the turmeric powder.
- In a small pan, heat the milk along with the spices and turmeric.
- Let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Then, let the milk cool down until it is at a temperature wherein you can consume it.
- Strain it into a cup. Add honey to taste.
- Drink while it is still hot for the best benefits.
- Do not grate and keep turmeric for long as it oxidizes and tends to lose its colour and flavor.
- Vegans can use almond, coconut or soya milk in place of regular milk.