This is the phalahari or the fasting version of the Lauki or the bottle gourd vegetable. It is made with minimum ingredients but still tastes yum. This subzi can be had with kuttu or rajgiri roti and also samak upma/pulao.
- 4 cups chopped – bottlegourd/lauki/dudhi
- Green chilies 3-4
- 1/2 tbsp – desi ghee
- 1 tbsp curd
- 1 tsp of sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp – cumin seeds
- Sendha namak/rock salt – to taste
- 1 tbsp – chopped coriander leaves
- 1 cup water
- Peel, wash and chop bottle gourd/lauki into small pieces.
- Also, finely chop green chilies and coriander leaves.
- In a cooker heat the desi ghee. Add the cumin seeds and allow them to splutter. Add green chilies and sauté until light brown.
- Stir for two minutes and then add the bottle gourd pieces, curd and sendha namak. Mix well.
- Add the water and close the cooker. Give it two whistles on high flame. Then lower the flame and let it cook further for another 10 minutes.
- Once done, ensure that the lauki is properly cooked. Garnish with coriander leaves and the sesame seeds.
- This vegetable can be had with kuttu singhara roti, rajgiri roti or samak pulao
The curry may be made with tomato also, in case one prefers it to curd.