Hung curd is a versatile ingredient and can be used to make several dishes. It is low in fat and rich in calcium. It is a healthier option to mayonnaise and cheese dips and has been used here to make sandwiches.
- Curd 1 cup
- Cucumber ½ cup, cut into thin 1 inch long juliennes
- Tomatoes ½ cup deseeded and cut into 1 inch juliennes
- Capsicum ¼ cup cut into 1 inch juliennes
- Carrots ¼ cup grated
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Oregano or fresh/dried basil
- Freshly chopped coriander
- Whole wheat brown bread
- First take the curd and hang it in a fine sieve or a muslin cloth for 4-5 hours so that all the water drains out and a thick paste of curd is left behind.
- Transfer into a bowl and put it away in the refrigerator till the time you are ready to make the sandwiches.
- Take a bowl and mix all the above vegetables in it.
- Take out the curd bowl from the refrigerator and add salt, pepper and oregano into it.
- Stir lightly and put this mixture into the vegetables mix and make a smooth batter.
- Take a slice of bread and spread the batter onto it.
– Ensure that the curd is well drained out otherwise it would make the sandwiches soggy. At times, you may need to hang it longer.
– To make sure that the curd does not go sour in the summer season, you may keep the sieve/muslin cloth inside the refrigerator, for the curd to drain.